You are here
Stressless Week Spring 2019
A full week of stress-reduction activities to our student community!
Finals week is approaching!
Tension, stress, and anxiety are beginning to rise as we sprint towards the end of the semester. Luckily, the Kathryn A. Martin Library and a host of partners are offering a full week of stress-reduction activities to our student community. Tea, snacks, games, crafts, coffee, button making, yoga, knitting, and much more await you!
Stress-less Week Fall 2019 starts on Sunday, April 28 at 2:00 p.m. with a kickoff event in the library, and concludes on Friday, May 3. All Stressless activities are free.
Our up-to-date schedule follows:
Sunday, April 28 - Throughout the Library, 2-8 p.m.
- Hot cocoa, tea, and coffee available in the library lobby. Candy and snacks will also be available.
- A stress-reduction area is opened on Sunday and will remain in place until the last day of finals (May 8). This zone features puzzles, coloring, legos, origami, and our ever popular cute animal videos. Share an inspirational message or take a message from the inspirational quote board.
- Register for kickoff door prizes throughout the day Sunday. Winners are drawn on the hour until 8 p.m.
- “Guess the # of Jelly Beans” contest returns! We’ve filled a jar with a large number jelly beans! We want your best guestimate or mathematical approximation! Library staff will tabulate the guesses on Friday, May 3 and inform the winner via email. The prize is pretty amazing - trust us on this.
- Lil' Plant Sweepstakes! Did you know that house plants can have a therapeutic effect on mental health? Thanks to the UMD Greenhouse and our Student Engagement Assistant Lizzie Easter, we have 30 rooted plants ready for your apartment or dorm room. Sign up for our drawing and you could win a lil' plant friend of your very own! Prize drawing on Friday at 10 a.m. Winners will be notified via email.
Monday April 29
- Coffee, tea, and cocoa, shared by your friendly neighborhood librarians. We will be pouring until all of it is gone! 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m., Library entrance.
- Chair massages and relaxation techniques for students. We have scheduled an awesome massage therapist for five minute massages. Students can start signing up at 9:45 for slots. 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Library second floor
- Stress-ball Make & Take: Sit down and make your own stress ball, or take one of our pre-made ones! 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. Library lobby
Tuesday April 30
- Coffee, tea and cocoa (and maybe some chocolate!) handed out by academic advisers from CEHSP, CLA, LSBE, SCSE, and SFA. They will be pouring cups and refills for all takers until the urns are dry! 7:30 to 10 a.m., Library entrance
- PAWS - Pet Away Worry and Stress returns to Kirby Student Lounge. Take a break with your pupper, doggo, floof, hedgehog, or maybe a mini-horse! 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kirby Student Center lounge
- Zoomobile - The Lake Superior Zoo brings its traveling menagerie of exotic and common animals. We could be visited by a tortoise, chinchilla, rabbit, ferret, or even a chicken. It’s one of our favorite events and it will soon be yours! 1 to 3 p.m., Library lobby
- Chair massages and relaxation techniques for students. We have scheduled an massage therapist for five minute massages, stretching exercises, and other mental alignment exercises. Students can start signing up at 2:45 for slots. 3 to 5 p.m., Library second floor
- Bulldog Yoga Club hosts their Tuesday night yoga session. Come to stretch, engage your body and relax. The library will be providing one lucky attendee with a door prize. 5 p.m. SPHC 135
- Knit-Wits! This student group offers healthy stress relief in an open and welcoming environment where strong, lasting friendships can be made. Drop in for some fiber arts and conversation. You might walk away with an awesome door prize! 7 to 8:30 p.m., RDC 335
Wednesday May 1
- Coffee, tea, and cocoa dispensed by the amazing academic advisers from CEHSP, CLA, LSBE, SCSE, and SFA! 7:30 to 10 a.m., Library entrance
- Button making! Create your own buttons, or use some of our pre-printed designs. (Due to popularity, students are limited to three buttons at a time. Don’t fret, though. You can make your three three then restart at the back of the line!) 1 to 3:30 p.m., Library first floor
Thursday May 2
- Coffee, tea, and cocoa handed out by friendly academic advisers from CEHSP, CLA, LSBE, SCSE, and SFA! Say hi and get some liquid fuel. 7:30 to 10 a.m., Library entrance
- Smoothies! Health Services and the library staff are teaming up to make a lot of smoothies. Fruit, juice, and greens blended to perfection and served in 4 oz energy shots! Dairy free/vegan available. 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (while supplies last), Library entrance
- Button making! Create your own buttons, or use some of our pre-printed designs. (Due to popularity, students are limited to three buttons at a time. Stamp out three then start at the back of the line!) 1 to 4 p.m., Library first floor
- S.H.E. Jeopardy: Take a break from studying to refresh with a game of jeopardy! Have fun, win prizes, and learn about sexual health, too! Facilitated by UMD Health Services Sexual Health Educators! 6 p.m., Library 115
Friday May 3
- Coffee, tea, and cocoa handed out by our friendly library staffers. Fill up your cup, or take a mug to go. Supplies are limited so get here early. 7:30 to 10 a.m., Library entrance
- Lil' Plant Sweepstakes: Trusted library staffers pull names from the ballot boxes. Then we email some lucky students who now own their own house plants! Winners can pick their prize at the Library Circulation Desk. First come, first choice. Starting at 10 a.m., Library Circulation Desk
- “Guess the number of jelly beans” - We start tabulating guesses for the # of items. One lucky winner will be determined and contacted via email! Must pick up before May 10 Starting at 10 a.m., Library Circulation Desk
- Destress Table ready for student visits. We'll have stress-balls, study tips, relaxation activities and candy for our students coming into and out of the library! 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Library entrance
Finals Week events
- Late Night Library - UMD Student Association provides free snacks in the library hallway from 8 to 10 p.m. It’s a three night extravaganza! Library staff will make announcements over the PA system so everyone can grab some study fuel. May 6, 8 to 10 p.m. Library hallway
Sponsors and partners
Stressless Week Spring 2019 couldn’t happen without the contributions of UMD Library Staff, including our Student Engagement Assistants Carly Johnson, Carra Mackey, Lizzie Easter. We are also indebted to our sponsors, including but not limited to:
- UMD Athletics for providing door prizes
- Kirby Program Board for funding for cocoa, coffee and snacks
- UMD Facilities Events Management for sharing tables and chairs for our activities
- Pet Away Worry Stress through the sponsorship of Animal Allies, KUMD, Health Services, UMD Department of Psychology (via Keith Young) and Kirby Student Center
- Applied Human Sciences & Exercise Science Club for providing “deskercise” handouts
- Knit Wits graciously shares their meeting time and welcomes all students to join them
- Greek Life for volunteering to create hundreds of stress balls
- Student Services Fee Committee who provide funding for crafts, games and snacks
- Sexual Health Educators for hosting game night
- Career & Internship Services for tabling and sharing resources for employment, resume development and more
- UMD Greenhouse for offering growing space and plant cuttings
- Bulldog Yoga Club offering their open sessions on Tuesdays evenings
- Coffee distribution by the Academic Advising Offices of CEHSP, CLA, LSBE, SCSE, and SFA
- Smoothies sponsored by Health Services, and Wellness Resources
Questions about Stressless Week? Contact Adam Brisk at 218-726-6603, email@example.com, or visit in Library 268.