You are here
Stress-less Week at the Library
Unwind with Stress-less Week in the library!
Stress-less Week in the Library!
Picture it… the week before finals… fifteen weeks of deadlines, cram sessions, responsibilities, and projects have brewed a perfect storm of emotion and stress. Stop and take a moment to recuperate! Welcome to Stress-less Week Spring 2018, April 22-27! The Kathryn A. Martin Library and a host of campus partners are banding together this semester to offer programs and activities designed to reduce and alleviate the burdens of the semester.
Sunday, April 22, 3-8 p.m.
Stay fueled and energized with free snacks, coffee, and wellness exercises as you enter the library. Pick up a stress ball, take a moment to color a picture, build a Lego structure, or just relax by watching a monitor of cute animal videos. You can enter your name into a drawing for door prizes and enter our ever-popular “Guess the Number of Coffee Beans” contest for a shot at a $25 gift certificate to Northern Shores Coffee! We’ll also be giving a host of little plants! Bonus: A massage therapist will be on-site from 6-8 p.m. Sign up on the 2nd floor for a 5-minute session.
Free Coffee and Hot Cocoa - Sponsored by Academic Advising Offices and Kirby Programming Board
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. until we run out of coffee and cocoa
Come and grab some warm beverages to begin your week off right. Library staff and Academic Advisors from CEHSP, LSBE, SCSE, CLA, and SFA will be offering free coffee and hot cocoa Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.! Get yours while it’s hot because once we run out, it’s gone!
Smoothies - Sponsored by UMD Health Services
Monday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (or until we run out)
Get a shot of fruit, greens, and energy! Re-energize and focus with vegan and dairy smoothies from UMD Health Services. Made fresh while you wait! Supplies are limited, so get here early!
Sunday, 6-8 p.m.; Monday, 2-4 p.m.
Each semester for Stress-less Week, we bring in Nancy Schwerdt from RSOP to provide quick massages. It’s instant relief! She'll be set up on the 2nd floor of the library, providing 5-minute massages and stretches. Space is limited, and sign-up won’t be available until 10 minutes before the massages. Mark your calendars!
Resume Drop-in Services - Sponsored by Career & Internship Services
Monday: 12-3 p.m. - KAML 119
Tuesday: 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. - KAML 115
Thursday: 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. - KAML 115
Applying for a "real-world" job, a summer job, or just want to spiff up your resume? To help you tackle whatever you're doing after May 4, we've invited Career & Internship Services to set up shop in the library to host resume reviews. Bring a print or digital copy of your resume and/or get your career-related questions answered. You can also stop by to set up an appointment for a less stressful time.
CALM Stress Reduction Techniques - Sponsored by Disability Resources & Health Services
Tuesday 10-11 a.m. - KAML 119
Wednesday 12:15-12:45 p.m. - KAML 119
Thursday 2:30-3:30 p.m. - KAML 115
Mindfulness, breath work, meditation, and guided imagery sessions for those seeking calm and peace. Free yourself for free!
Stress Ball Make or Take - Sponsored by UMD Greek Life
Monday, April 23, 1-3 p.m. - Library Atrium
Tuesday, April 24, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - Library Atrium
Make, decorate, or take a stress ball! Everyone will get a chance to build their own stress management tool, or you can just take a prefab one.
Tuesday, April 24, 2:30-4:30 p.m. - Library Atrium
Some of the zoo's smallest and cutest animals will provide a welcome distraction from studying. The Lake Superior Zoo staff will visit UMD with a tortoise, chinchilla, bunny, hedgehog, and other tiny animals. Ask questions, get answers, and pet something!
Bulldog Yoga Club Meeting
Tuesday, April 24, 5-6 p.m, Kirby Ballroom
Take a yoga break with the Bulldog Yoga Club, and enter a raffle to win a free yoga mat! No previous yoga experience necessary, but you have to bring your own mat. This is a great way to develop strength and resolve. Special thanks to Kirby Student Center for hosting (#kirbylovesyou).
Knit Wits Meeting
Tuesday, April 24, 7-9 p.m. - Library 119
Friday, April 27, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Join the Knit Wits, UMD’s own student knitting group, for a little knitting, stitching, and materials. No experience necessary; attendees will be entered in a prize drawing for free materials and tools!
Pet Away Worry and Stress (PAWS)
Wednesday, April 25, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. - Kirby Lounge
Stop by and stress less with some lovable canines and cuddly cats! Representatives from Humane Educators and Animal Allies will be on campus with animals to play with, hold, and pet! Sponsored by Animal Allies, Kathryn A. Martin Library, UMD Employee Wellness, and Health Services. Volunteer support provided by SERVE.
Button Making in the Library Atrium
Wednesday, 1-3 p.m.
Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Library staff are bringing our button makers out and getting them ready for action! Bring your own images, use our templates, and create your own button on the fly! Library staffers will be on hand to help and advise any and all participants.
Events Occurring All Week!
- Coffee + Cocoa + Candy will be available at 8 a.m. Monday to Friday until its gone.
- Activity table in the atrium! Take a break with our bucket of Legos, coloring pages, origami, and board games.
- We've set aside an alcove on the 2nd floor for exercise bikes and yoga mats; exercise releases powerful endorphins that can ease stress. Thanks to CEHSP Applied Human Sciences for sharing their equipment.
- Stress balls can be found at the 1st floor service desk for pickup; special thanks to Greek Life for dedicating volunteer hours to make so many!
- Prize drawing on Friday - Students can fill out a survey rating their experiences. On Friday at 11:00, we'll start drawing names for gift certificates & house plants (courtesy of the UMD Greenhouse.) You do not need to be present to win.
- We’ve set up a looping cute animal video feed as you enter the library. Watching cute animals offers a burst of relaxation, and a quick laugh.
Stress-less Week is made possible by the generous donations of time, funding, and materials from:
- UMD Student Service Fee Committee
- UMD Kirby Student Center
- UMD ITSS
- UMD Health Services
- Greek Life (who made 300 stress-balls!)
- Applied Human Sciences Lab
- Dining Services, providers of cocoa!
- Bulldog Yoga Club
- UMD Knit Wits, our campus knitting club
- Lake Superior Zoo
- Advising offices of the College of Liberal Arts, College of Education and Human Service Professions, Labovitz School of Business & Economics, and Swenson College of Science & Engineering
- Kirby Program Board, for providing cocoa and coffee urns!
- Big thanks to the Kathryn A. Martin Library staff volunteers who set up & staff our events!
- Special appreciation goes out to our custodial staff, specifically Karen & Eileen, who do so much to keep our entire building sparkling (in spite of all of these activities)