NEMBA was established in 1988 to recognize books that substantially represent northeastern Minnesota in the areas of history, culture, heritage, or lifestyle.
For purposes of the Awards, northeastern Minnesota is defined to include the following counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Kanabec, Koochiching, Lake, Pine, and St. Louis
Prizes are currently awarded in six categories:
- Art, Photography
- Children's Literature
Reading teams will choose a winner and honorable mention in each category. If a book is nominated in more than one area, the Library NEMBA committee will determine the category for the entry.
NOTE: Three or more nominated titles are required in a single category to designate a winner and honorable mention in that category. In categories with only two nominated titles a winner will be chosen but an honorable mention will not be awarded. If only one book is nominated, the NEMBA committee may move the book to another category as appropriate. If the title is retained as a single nominee in its original category, no award will be presented in that category.
All information received from the nomination form is advisory to the NEMBA committee. The final decision for category placement, retention or removal from the competition will be made by the NEMBA committee, in consultation with the Reading Teams as necessary.
Eligibility Requirements 32nd Annual NEMBA:
- The subject matter of the nominated books MUST substantially represent northeastern Minnesota in the areas of history, culture, heritage and lifestyle. For the purpose of the awards, northeastern Minnesota includes the following counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Kanabec, Koochiching, Lake, Pine, and St. Louis.
- Nominated books must have 2019 original release date. Books with a 2018 copyright that were not released until 2019 may be submitted in the 32nd annual NEMBA . A written explanation for why a book with a 2018 copyright is eligible must be submitted along with the nomination form.
- Nominated books must have been written in English and published in bound paper format.
The following are NOT eligible:
- Reprints of books originally published in a previous year.
- Previously published books unless at least 50% of the content is new - documentation will be required.
- Exhibition catalogs
The winning book in each category will receive a cash prize of $200. The winning book and the honorable mention in each category will receive a glass plaque and 100 book seals.
Presented by UMD's Kathryn A. Martin Library
416 Library Drive
Duluth, MN 55812