You are here
Course Reserves for Students
What Is Course Reserves?
Course Reserves is a library service that provides access to high-demand materials your professor or instructor has identified as being important to a course. Physical books, media items, kits, PDFs, and electronic resources can all be placed on course reserves.
To see if your course has material on reserve, log in to Canvas and select your course.
Select the Library Course Page link from the left menu. Here you will find subject guides for your course and see any materials that your instructor has placed on reserve. If there is no section labeled "Course Reserves," there are no materials currently on reserve for your course.
If your course does not have a Canvas site, you can search for material on course reserve using the Course Reserves option in the advanced search in the library catalog. You can search by course name, course code, or instructor name.
Electronic Reserve Materials
Electronic resources and PDFs can be accessed right from the course reserves list. Click "view online" to open electronic resources and/or download PDFs to open on your computer.
Checking Out Physical Items on Reserve
Please come to the desk prepared with either the title you wish to check out, or with the instructor’s name, course name, or course code.
- Clicking the title on the course reserves list will display that item’s record in the library catalog, where you will be able to see if the item is available or already checked out.
- Did your professor or instructor tell you that material would be available on reserve but when you logged in you didn't see the course reserves listed? The material could still be in processing. Check with your instructor or log back into your Canvas Library Course Page after a day or two has passed.
- To provide access to more students, we restrict checkouts to one reserve item at a time.
- Items on reserve have either a 3-hour or 1-day loan period.
- Due to high demand, fines are $1 per hour for overdue reserve materials.
- If you would like additional help or instruction on accessing your course reserves lists, please come to the first floor Circulation desk.
Course Reserves Contact Information