You are here
Acceptable Use of Library Computers
Rules for Use of Library Computer Workstations
Everyone using computer workstations in the Kathryn A. Martin Library must abide by all UMD and University of Minnesota policies and procedures, as well as all relevant federal, state and local laws.
- Authenticated Workstations
Authenticated workstations are available for UMD students, faculty and staff. Library computer workstations are to be used primarily for course-related activity, scholarly research, and other activities directly related to the educational, research, and public service mission of the University. Anyone using a workstation that requires an authenticated logon may be asked to show a University identification card. University of Minnesota policy prohibits the sharing of University of Minnesota passwords with others.
- Guest Workstations
Guest workstations support the information needs of non-University users. In order to provide equitable access for community users, guest workstations may have time limitations.
- Appropriate use of computer workstations
Users of workstations shall not make any attempt to damage computer equipment or software, alter software configurations, or engage in any illegal or criminal activities. See Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources. Computer workstations in the library may not be used for commercial purposes and must be used in compliance with state and federal laws.
- User Conduct
Users shall not engage in loud, boisterous or threatening behavior that disrupts others' use of library facilities for teaching, study, or research as outlined in the library's Acceptable User Behavior policy. Users shall not use sound features on computers without appropriate headphones. Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be asked to leave.
- Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources
Contractual license agreements and U.S. Copyright Law govern the access, use, and reproduction of these resources as outlined in the library's policy on Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources.
- Compliance with University and Library Policies
Users of library computer workstations must comply with the campus-wide policies and related guidelines listed below.
- University of Minnesota. Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
- University of Minnesota. User Authentication for Access to University Computer Resources
- University of Minnesota. Using Information Technology Resources Standards
- Kathryn A. Martin Library. University of Minnesota Duluth. Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources
- Kathryn A. Martin Library. University of Minnesota Duluth. Copyright at UMD
Approved by the Library Management Team
Date of approval: November 15, 2006
Endorsed by EPC Subcommittee on Information Technology and the Library
Date of endorsement: November 26, 2006