The Kathryn A. Martin Library is valued as an engaged partner with the UMD community in achieving excellence in research, teaching, and learning.
Preface: The University of Minnesota Duluth and the Kathryn A Martin Library comprise a community of learners and scholars that promotes student success, provides an enriching experience, and is committed to core values that shape the university and its purpose.
- Learning. We analyze, solve problems, improve processes, and develop new ways of creating, working, and being.
- Discovery. We discover, create, and share knowledge.
- Engagement. We actively collaborate with each other and the larger community to identify and achieve common goals.
- Inclusiveness. We respect and embrace the diversity of individuals, perspectives, and ideas and promote social justice.
- Sustainability. We balance current environmental, economic, and social needs with those of future generations.
- Innovation. We are an evidence-based and forward-thinking institution that is capable of adjusting to changing demands on the university.
- Integrity. We adhere to the highest ethical standards and take responsibility for our ideas and actions.
- Excellence. We achieve excellence through creativity, continuous improvement, and innovation.
Customer Service Statement
Together we strive to provide a positive and empowering experience for all library users.
Who Is Kathryn A. Martin?
The Kathryn A. Martin Library, completed in September 2000, was named for UMD's eighth chancellor. She was the first female chancellor in the University of Minnesota system, serving from 1995-2010 and leaving a legacy of robust growth, 12 new buildings, and major renovations. The UMD Library was renamed in her honor on October 7, 2013.