UMD students are invited to enter the 2017 My Beautiful Library Photo & Film Contest.
This third annual contest incorporates a video category for the first time. Submitted pictures and videos must feature the interior or exterior of the Kathryn A. Martin Library. Deadline for entry is March 30 at 5 p.m.
The contest is open to UMD students only. Your entries must be submitted attached to or linked from a valid UMD email address.
Submitted images will be used in future library promotions and to illustrate library services in displays, on posters, in social media, and on the web. Videos will be posted on the library’s YouTube channel and linked from the library’s other social media accounts.
Prizes will include $50 gift cards from UMD Stores for the winners in the Photography categories. For the extra effort required to produce a Film Short entry, the winner will receive a $200 gift card, and the second place filmmaker will take home a $50 gift card.
A Best in Show award will be presented by the Library Communication & Events team with a $50 gift card and a glass plaque.
- Enter by Thursday, March 30, at 5 p.m.
- Voting on Instagram for Photography entries continues until Thursday, April 13, at 5 p.m.
- Photo/Film Battle & Awards Reception, Thursday, April 20, 4-6 p.m.
- Coolest Interior Library Photo - must be taken inside Martin Library
- Best Exterior Curb Appeal Shot - must depict some part of the library's exterior
- Get Collaborative in a Group Study Room - must include students using a library study room
- Technological Wonders in the Library - must include technology being used in the library
- Film Short - any UMD library-related video, either interior or exterior, less than 5 minutes long.
How to Enter the Photography Categories
Submit your images via your UMD email account to [email protected] by March 30, 5 p.m.
- Photos must be in jpeg format, at least 300 dpi and at least 4 in. wide, not larger than 10 MB.
- One entry per category is permitted. Please indicate the category of entry.
- Photos must not violate any laws including copyright and privacy laws. If you include people in your photo, each person must complete a consent form allowing the image to be used in all mediums and formats during the contest and at any future time.
- Consent forms can be turned in at the library’s Circulation desk with the photographer’s name on the envelope. Or mail them to Charlene Brown, Kathryn A. Martin Library, UMD.
- Photos may be altered, filtered, or combined, but all images embedded in the photograph must be the work of the entrant and not obtained from another source.
- Entries will be posted to the library's Instagram account for online voting (#kamlphotos17) through April 13 at 5 p.m. No nudity is permitted on Instagram (just sayin’).
- The top three photographs in each category receiving the most Instagram "likes" ♡♡♡ will go on to compete in a Photo Battle at the awards reception on Thursday, April 20, 4–6 p.m. (in KAML 115).
How to Enter the Film Short Category
You can submit one film in this category by uploading it to your UMD Google Drive and sharing the link with [email protected]
- One entry is permitted per student, and the deadline is March 30, 2017, at 5 p.m.
- Shoot a film of 5 minutes or less featuring the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Topics can be how to, virtual tour, satire, mystery, or use your imagination.
- Refrain from using copyrighted music in your film. Instead, search royalty-free AudioBlocks for Education for just the right background music. (You must access this secure site from a University of Minnesota network location.)
- Upload your video to your UMD Google Drive.
- Provide a shared link when you submit your entry to [email protected].
- Film contents must not violate any laws including copyright and privacy laws. If you include people in your film, each person must complete a consent form allowing the video to be used in all mediums and formats during the contest and at any future time.
- Consent forms can be turned in at the library’s Circulation desk with the filmmaker’s name on the envelope. Or mail them to Charlene Brown, Kathryn A. Martin Library, UMD.
Photo / Film Battle & Awards Reception
A Photo & Film Battle will take place at a public reception in Martin Library 115 on Thursday, April 20, 4-6 p.m. In-person voting will determine the winners in each Photography category and the first and second-place finishers in the Film Short category. The Best in Show entry will be chosen by the Library Communication & Events team and announced at the event. We'll have refreshments!