Students have quick access to research help, ebooks, scholarly articles, databases, and faculty curated electronic and physical reserves. Instructors will have the convenience of library expertise, research guides, and the ability to manage their reserves in Canvas.
What are Library Course Pages?
Library Course Pages are the integration of two learning tools in Canvas:
- UMD librarians use Research Guides to curate resources for disciplines, majors, and courses. There are currently 200 Guides available. Librarians can work with instructors to create content specific for a class, assignment, or discipline.
- Course Reserves provides access to course materials selected by the instructor as well as course required e-books purchased through UMD's Course Content Support Initiative. Types of materials that can be added to Course Reserves include:
- Physical books
- Media items
- Library licensed electronic resources
What do I need to do to use Library Course Pages?
A Library Course Page link will appear in the left hand navigation of all Canvas course sites.
Research Guides began appearing in all Canvas courses in Fall 2019. Most course research guides are a general guide for the discipline, field, or major. Instructors can request a course-specific Research Guide by consulting their subject librarian.
If you placed material on course reserves, you're all set; since your existing course reserves content will how up in the Library Course Pages link in Canvas. You can create and edit your own course reserves list of library-owned materials, or upload your own personal content. Copyright and fair use laws apply.
If you prefer, library staff can manage your course reserves list. The process for putting materials on course reserves has not changed, as shown on the Faculty Course Reserves page
- See a slideshow about Library Course Pages
- View our Library Course Pages Manual
- Learn more about Course Reserves through a consultation with Course Reserves Specialist Cassandra Prange at [email protected] or visit the Faculty Course Reserves page.
- Interested in more resources for Canvas? Visit our Online Learning Support Page.